I’ve been thinking a lot about how I communicate, so I decided to rank my communication methods. The interesting aspect of this exercise is that I unintentionally started ranking people I know. Here is what I found… (Obviously I left off In-Person on purpose)
1) Phone Calls – This is my holy grail of communication… it’s not like I won’t accept a phone call but I rarely make them to people outside of family. If you get a call from me then that means I like you. (You’re in)
2) Text Messaging – This is the easiest form of communication, I’m usually pretty quick with a reply. Although “some” people don’t respond with the same type of zip I do, I’ve just learned to live with it. (Oh…Wait… am I being ignored?)
3) Email – I like email because you can get a lot across and you aren’t limited to 160 characters. It lacks the instant feedback a phone call gives you, but when I’m writing an email it’s usually a topic of importance… so the wait is okay.
4) GTalk – I’ve got like 10 people on my GTalk and we talk pretty regularly. I usually pick their brains or send them the nonsensical thoughts I’m having. Some pretty intense conversations have taken place on GTalk.
5) Twitter – I love twitter and the conversations that can happen on twitter. If I don’t know you personally or in real life, then twitter is great because I get to interact with new and exciting people.
6) Facebook Chat – This has been on my dislike list because I always end up getting messages from people I don’t want to talk to when I’m “on-line” and I really don’t want to have to make groups… that being said I’m starting to embrace it a little on my phone. (It’s a time killer!)
8) Skype – I hate feeling stuck in front of my desktop computer, all the other forms of communication allow me to be mobile and do other things. Since I don’t own a laptop, Skype leaves me stranded in front of my computer… I loathe this.
In closing I never go anywhere without my phone so I can usually check all forms of communication whenever they arrive. I find it funny though that I get annoyed when someone who knows me personally ask me a personal question on twitter. I always find myself thinking… Why didn’t you just text me?
Anyways, this was just a weird self-reflective observation. How do you like to communicate?